Few easy steps to make a healthy lunch bowl.
1. Plan your bowl by choosing a whole grain, vegetable, protein, fat.
2. Lay down first whole grain example: ½ cup cooked quinoa, brown rice, bulgur, barley.
3. Add veggies.
1 cup of vegetables or 2 cups of leafy greens- can be raw, sauté, roast of grilled.
- Dark Leafy Greens- Kale or Spinach
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Egg plant
- Shredded Cabbage
- Sweet Potato
4. Add protein of lean cooked 90g chicken, beef, beans, tuna, tofu.
5. Sauce of 2-4 tablespoons of pesto, hummus, salsa, vinaigrette, smart carb sauces.
6. Optional to add Fat ¼ avocado, olives, pumpkin seeds, crumbled feta.
7. Garnish with fresh herbs like coriander, chives, lime wedges (make it beautiful).
Examples of Lunch Bowls
Pesto Chicken Bowl with Broccoli and Pumpkin Seeds
1. Marinate chicken breast 100g in pesto (Ina Paarman or Woolworths) then grill or bake the chicken until cooked through.
2. Sauté broccoli florets in garlic and olive oil..
3. Use ½ cup of brown rice as base (optional).
4. Combine in bowl shredded chicken, broccoli, ¼ avocado, pumpkin seeds, handful of rocket leaves.
Brown Rice Bowl with sesame Salmon, Aubergine, and Tamari (Can use Soy Sauce)
1. Coat Salmon fillet with Tamari and sesame seeds and place on baking tray.
2. Add sliced aubergine (1 medium) to a second baking tray and salt the slices and drizzle with olive oil.
3. Bake the Salmon and Aubergine 200 degrees Celsius till tender.
4. Combine the Salmon, Aubergine, and 70 g brown rice and drizzle with peanut sesame dressing (see recipe).
5. Top with fresh coriander and chives.
Peanut Sesame Dressing
- 75 ml white vinegar
- 2 table tamari/ soy
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- Pinch ground ginger
- 2 table sesame oil
- 2 table peanut butter
- 1 table honey or stevia
Mix all ingredients together and store in fridge for up to 5 days and use over the lunch bowl.